--- the pickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 14:37 +0100 on 23/07/01, Mike Evans wrote:
>
> >The weird thing is, there is no socket for power at
> the back. At the back of
> >it, apart from the normal two SCSI ports
> (Centronics-50), there are just two
> >mini-DIN 8 type sockets (similar -looking to the
> Mac's modem/printer
> >sockets.. perhaps a bit bigger), but with holes for
> only three pins, not
> >8... I had a look inside... can't see any obvious
> sign of a transformer or
> >PSU... one of the striking things about the whole
> drive/case is how small it
> >is, not much bigger than the drive itself. I guess
> it must have got its
> >power through these mini-DIN ports...
>
> I bet those are power ports that an external power
> supply plugged into.  I
> wouldn't plug em into the Mac serial port if I were
> you, mostly because the
> Mac serial port doesn't carry any power on it at
> all, so it just won't do
> anything (at best) or might kill the Mac (at worst).

Hmm, yeah, no power on the Plus and newer serial ports
until the 9pin GeoPort came along. The 128 through
512Ke had power at the serial ports.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947