--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Scott Barber wrote:
> >Does the black terminator used for external SCSI
> devices with the MacIIfx
> >have a green led?
> >I'm being given one, and want to use the correct
> terminator...
>
> IMHO the special fx terminator isn't needed for
> short distances.
> SCSI is specified to work over a long distance that
> most of us never
> encounter. Longer distances require more ideal
> termination (i.e. impedance
> matching).
> My fx has always worked fine with standard external
> SCSI termination at
> lengths up to 4 feet, and I bet it would go up to at
> least 10 feet with no
> problem.
>
> Gamba
> <http://www.accesscom.com/~gamba>

There is an article somewhere at apple.com which
tells which IIfx models need the special terminators.
IIfx shipped prior to (some date) need the special
external terminator and an internal "SCSI filter"
or internal special terminator if not using an
internal drive. (Who would ever have ordered, let
alone used, a IIfx without an internal HD?) IIfx
shipped after that date do not require any of the
special terminators or filters. Apparently at some
point Apple fixed the problem. Unfortunately they
didn't put any easily identifiable marking on the
logic boards or anywhere else to tell which are
the revised ones. :P Someone had a website with
a Mac serial number decoder so you could tell when
your Mac was built, but Apple threw a fit and
threatened to engage in lawyer tossing over it.
The first power up date in PRAM is not a sure fire
indicator of how old the Mac is. If you leave the
PRAM battery out or dead long enough the PRAM
will totally erase and lose that setting.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947