--- "Bob C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was given a SyQuest 5.25" external cartridge drive
> today, much to my
> surprise and delight, but I know very little about
> them.  Is there a
> web-site dealing with these somewhere?
>
> When I connected it to my LCIII+ running System 7.1
> and started up, I
> immediately saw LED-activity on the drive, and I was
> presented with a notice
> that the drive needed to be formatted, so I clicked
> OK and about a minute
> later, the drive appeared on my desktop.   And I had
> thought I'd need to
> install a driver!   :-)
>
> The drive seems to have been packaged by "Mitac" in
> a very sturdy little
> metal case, but it's a branded SyQuest 5.25"
> mechanism with the designation
> "200 MB C" marked under the media door.   Does this
> mean it can take 200MB
> cartridges?
>
> The drive came with only one 88MB cartridge.  Are
> these (and other sizes)
> readily available?
>
> Any information on this baby will be appreciated!
> Thanks.

Some part of SyQuest is still alive and kicking, in
spite of Iomega trying to kill them off. Hit
http://www.syqt.com for info. Best thing to do is
open the case so you can get the model number of
the drive. Some of the older 88meg drives cannot
write to the 44meg disks. That was fixed in later
versions. I think all the 5.25" drives other than
the early 88's are fully backward compatable.
(Could be the larger capacities won't write to the
44/88 disks.)

Don't bother trying the SyQuest software. It looks
like it would be nice, if it actually worked instead
of causing crashes. Just use whatever formatter you
used on your hard drive(s).

Most non-Apple hard disk drivers will also support
removable drives so you don't need an extention
need something off the removable when you have booted
with extentions off. :) Otherwise you can just pop
a removable disk in the drive (even Zip disks)
before the Happy Mac appears and it will load the
driver off it for use with all disks in that drive
for that session.

You should format ALL of the disks you use in the
SyQuest (or Magneto Optical etc.) with the same
software. Some disk drivers have nasty crash causing
conflicts with each other. Iomega's Zip and Jaz
don't seem to conflict with anything so you can
use the Iomega software on them OK.

Personally, with the exception of my Zip 100 and
floppies, I format everything with FWB 3.0.2 just
to ensure there won't be any conflicts. (I tried
FWB 4.something but it clashed horribly with 3.0.2.)

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947