On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 04:57 AM, Keith Johnson wrote:

> I recently passed an eBay auction which consisted of a Performa 475.
> Or at least that's what the seller said it was. The picture showed a
> flat pack Mac, LC-style case (ribbed front) with "Macintosh Performa"
> inked on it. Below that was a sticker (not a typical Mac badge, just
> a sticker) that said "Performa 475" in Apple Garamond.  I considered
> bidding on it only to see what it really was. The auction ended at
> $4.75 or so, and the seller immediately removed the pic from the
> listing. Maybe he just needed the web space.

Hmm... suspicious in the extreme. The 47x Macs never had ribbed fronts,
they had moved the flat pack over to, as Bob F said, the manual inject
drive and smooth front with the gaping floppy disk chasm.

> I've never seen a Mac that only said "Performa" on it, but I assume
> early Performas may very well have been sold that way. If so, what
> models were sold that way? Has anyone else seen the model number on a
> sticker as described above? Is it possible that early 475s may have
> been manufactured with the original LC-style case?

No. The LCIII+ and up had newer style cases AFAIK, even some 25MHz
LCIIIs had it. I suspect it was Photoshoped. The Mac Performa 46x and
47x were the same in ever case detail to the equivalent LC but the
sticker the says "LCxxx" says "Performa XXX", a cunning economy move by
Apple to save having to run batches of different case lettering, instead
they just gave factories piles of stickers and blank cases that just
said "Macintosh" on them told them to stick the appropriate label on
appropriate machines.

Ron S. Provided a perfect description:

>    I have a genuine Performa 475 in front of me.  The Performa 475
> badge is
> actually printed on a thin plastic rectangle that is placed in a small
> recess, the same size and shape as the sticker.  The word Macintosh is
> printed directly on the plastic face above it.  The Apple logo is above
> Macintosh.  The front is not ribbed.

> BTW, thanks to Mark (it's all his fault for starting this obsession
> with flat pack Macs), I now own the following falt packs:

Jeesh <blush> sorry ;).

> LC dual floppy
> LC
> LC II
> LC III
> LC III+
> Q605

Keep up the good work, you've got more than me!! I'd like a Q605, I
think it looks much better than the LCs as it has the oval 'Quadra feet'
that were also used on the Q8xx machines. They are a cool styling thing
IMHO.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central