OK, nobody seems to get my drift so I obviously explained it about as
well Donald Rumsfeld ;).

Heres what I have at the moment:

4 machines all using TCP/IP, 3 using OT, 1 using OS X.
All machines have static IPs assigned using the DHCP module in IPNR
All machines have a DNS name assigned through Mac DNS
All Machines are also setup to share via AppleTalk
All Machines talk fine over both AppleTalk and TCP/IP.

The only modem is attached (built-into) my iBook
I dial up to my ISP through this modem.

DNS & DHCP are administered from my LCIII, which runs MacDNS and IPNR
*already*. This machine runs 24/7 and never is disconnected but will
probably be replaced by my IIci when I get it as the IIci has the option
of 2 NICs.

When I am at University I use my friends Linux server, which routes from
a Windows XP machine connected to ADSL (which Is how I know it can be
done), to do the above instead as it's already set up, I only set up
DNS, DHCP and stuff on my network at home to fill the gap while I'm not
at Uni, but I graduate in June so I will need it permanently after that.

I could buy a modem for my LCIII (a serial 56k that works shouldn't be
*that* hard to find right?) or the IIci I am buying (same thing really).
On the other hand I could work out how to do the following:

Using IPNSX I can broadcast the Internet connection over the network
with the following conditions:

DNS and Router for all TCP/IP clients have to be set to the iBook.
IPNSX has to be running on my iBook to run the services, I can run them
by hand but it's gotta be the world's largest mess about.

The way I see it I need to attach the iBook to a separate sub-net to
rout the internet connection to the rest of the network which means I
can't do it until I get my IIci and a couple if NuBus network cards (I
could do it on my Quadra if I bought one but I don't want to tie it down
and IIci machines make great servers). Is all this correct or can I do
it all on 1 hub and one NIC?

I'm wandering while staying strangely on-topic (what with the IIci and
all). I know it all seems like so much effort for on 56k network
connection on a bunch on Macs I'm not going to use it on but it's all
relative, if I get employed as an IT tech I'm gonna have to know all
this.

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central