On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 01:45 AM, the pickle wrote:

> At 00:43 +0100 on 10/04/02, Mark Benson wrote:
>
>> Yes it will, it frees up lots of RAM by getting rid of stupid
>> unnecessary extensions I have found I can't turn off for one reason or
>> another in 7.6.1. It also uses less RAM itself and has less CPU
>> overhead
>> when running idle.
>
> Now you're starting to see my argument.

In the case of a server and *only* a server yes.

> Of course, simply freeing up RAM won't make file sharing any faster.

It does if it means there is RAM free to pass thru out going files. If
no RAM is free then  the machine has to free it by moving stuff from the
RAM to VM and then sending the file, all of which uses up time.

>> I need 7.1 or later and OT 1.1.2 to run IPNR - sorry Marten ;).
>
> Good luck getting 6 running on an LC III anyway :)

You missed the bit about the IIci then I take it ;).

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central