From: "Powermac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mac batteries. Was: IIFX Power On?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:11:53 -0400

 --
PRAM batteries on ebay are not that expensive, probably $4 each or so.

Do they have reasonable fresh date codes? I just picked up two 05/2005 batteries at Frys for $5.99 each. Of course, some folks don't have a local Frys and sometimes Frys doesn't do a very good job of keeping the odd batteries in stock. Once, I resorted to buying the 1/2AA with leads on the ends and snipped off the leads and filed down the nub. On the other hand, Frys carries the 1/2AA with leads on the end! There can't be very many diehard Mac II owners still out there.

I must admit that I am very tempted by the idea of three 1.25V watch batteries ($1.29 each) in series with a nub of copper rod at the end to fill in the last bit of length. I'm not sure how they'd compare in durability though. The mAH are on the packaging for the 1/2AA but I'm not sure if the package for the watch batteries shows that parameter. Heck, some of those little batteries don't even list the voltage on the package. At least some hearing aid batteries of a promising size didn't seem to list the voltage.

Jeff Walther