On Sep 18, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Nat Hall wrote:

On Friday, September 16, 2005, at 10:07 PM, Darren wrote:

Manuel Marques wrote:

ahem... not ONLY on accelerated IIcis. If you use Born Again or make some
ResEdit hacks you can run 8.1 on 68030 Macs (including LC3 :P)

http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/os8_68030.html
http://www.vintagebox.de/mac68k/macos_p2-en.html
Its been done :)
OS8.0 also has a floppy set on cd. :)

What kind of speed (or lack thereof) could I expect if I were to install OS 8 onto my unaccelerated IIsi? I have a a Radius video card in it, which I assume would speed up graphics a bit over the IIsi onboard video but that is all. I have never used OS 8 on any 68k Mac-- the lowest-end machine I ever experienced with 8 was a PowerMac 6300.

I am currently running System 6.0.8 on it, but this sounds like a fun project.

I just want to know if it'd be worth my while or not. I mean, if it's going to make things so slow as to be generally unusable I won't bother.

-Nat

I run OS 8.1 on Quadra 950's at 33MHz and full 68040. I attempted to run OS 8.1 on a IIfx just for fun, following Gambas instructions. I got it to boot 8.0 but after the 8.1 update it choked. Maybe I did something wrong. Anyway, 6.0.8 on a IIsi sounds perfect to me! I hope you have the RadiusWare s/w installed as well? That works with OS 6 to accelerate the video.

Personal opinion: a IIsi with OS 6 is a jewel, a PPC 6300 with OS 8 is just a slow computer :-)

Cheers,
       John