From: Kyle Koerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mac II resister (inductor?) blown
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:22:46 -0500

Rick,
Sorry, not sure what the actual name is - it's a little square thing
which I can't tell you more about because it is just a scorched
block...

So you are not certain that the L4 label applies to the burnt component? If not, can you describe in detail where the component is located so that one of us with a IIfx might have some chance to locate it on our board?

The Mac II does power up, just without a hard drive (i have an external
though).  Funny thing is, my external case (AppleCD 300e) has no
problem with the 5" drive.

Could just be a coincidence that that component went out at that time. Or it could be indicative of something shorted on the board such that when power is drawn from the HD connector it burned that component.

In addition to the hard drive power problem with my IIfx board, another
problem is there too.  When I turn the thing on, there is no mouse
movement.  Period.  You can use the keyboard to navigate, but no mouse.
  This happens with different mice/keyboards, different configurations
(ADB port, keyboards, etc), and even different hard drives with
different system folders.  Also, Mouse Keys do not work.  They can be
enabled and the clicking (5 or 0) work, just like on the mouse.  Just
no linear movement.

It sounds like your ADB controller has serious problems. If it were a later model machine (e.g. Quadra) it would be a matter of just replacing the CUDA chip, since Apple used that same chip for ADB control from the Quadra through the Beige G3.

On the IIfx, you could have a problem in your SWIM/ADB IOP or it could be the RFI filter. I'm not that familiar with the chips in the IIfx though, to really be a help. If it was any other model of Mac II, you could probably just scavenge a replacement chip from some other II board.

Jeff Walther