on 11/14/05 7:41 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I recently picked up a IIci on Ebay which is working great.
> From my old Mac IIcx, which doesn't work, I have an internal and external hard
> drive. When hooking up the external drive to the IIci, it looks like it's
> trying to boot from the external drive, could this be because it may have a
> higher SCSI ID than the IIci's internal drive? Should I try to reset the
> internal drives SCSI jumpers to a higher ID? I don't know what the external
> drive is set to (old CAi external w/software scsi control).
> Can I put my old IIcx internal drive in the IIci and boot from it? I wasn't
> sure if the two machines are close enough for System 7 to be able to run
> properly?
>
> Thanks!!

My experience has been that when the Mac tries to boot with SCSI drives with
duplicate ID's, it just hangs - it won't go to the flashing question mark.
The SCSI bus doesn't know what to do when the Mac queries it since more than
one device will respond. Since apparently you have no way to adjust the ID
of the external drive, change the internal drive to anything except ID 7 by
adding a jumper to change it to 1-6. ID 6 has always seemed safe to me (but
that'll require two jumpers). Then use the startup disk control panel to
select your boot drive. I too have a IIci and have had this problem when
testing old drives.

Rick