From: "Powermac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: On MIDI Sequencing - IIci performance enhancements
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Walther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 2:20 AM

 If you buy one of the older version, check to see if the cache board
 is attached and included.  Often it is, and often the seller has no
 idea what the piggybacking board is doing on the back of the thing.

 The older version with the cache board attached will be two boards
 sandwiched together pretty closely when viewed from above.

I have the older Turbo 040 (33Mhz no cache add-on), how rare are the >cache boards for these currently?

Pretty much hens teeth. I've never seen one that wasn't already attached to a Turbo040 card. Daystar sold them as a separate add-on as well as including them with Turbo040s so it's always possible some will turn up somewhere still in the box.

I believe the problem is that folks don't have any idea what they are. It's pretty specialized knowledge. So if someone runs across one in a box or something, they're not very likely to resell the thing, because they don't recognize it. I suspect we've lost many of the Turbo040 and PowerCaches to the same problem. You get an old machine, there's a card in it, you don't know what any of it is, and it all goes to the recycler.

There was an even less well known Daystar upgrade called the Value040. This plugged into an LC style PDS slot. It also uses the same cache board. However, I have a regular search on Daystar stored on Ebay, and I'm the only person I've ever seen sell a Value040, so they're not all that common either.

Your best bet is probably just to buy another Turbo040 with the cache board attached already.

Ebay has this new feature called Want-It-Now. You could try posting one of those. Also, you might try posting a WTB (want-to-buy) message in the comp.sys.mac.wanted news group and if you have something similar to austin.forsale (except for whatever city you're in) you could try that as well. And there's the LEM swap-list as well. Of course it would help if you had a JPEG of the board.

Here's an image of the Value040 with the cache board attached. The cache is on the righthand side of the image <http://www.io.com/~trag/Value040_cache.jpg>

Here's an image of the back of a Turbo040 with the cache board attached: <http://www.io.com/~trag/Turbo040_back.jpg>

Unfortunately, neither image shows the connector side of the cache board.

Jeff Walther