Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:23:51 -0800
From: Jeff Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Portables

Hia all,

This may be off topic but because there's been talk of portables, I
figured I throw this out there.  I have a portable that had been
working great up until the video cable (from the motherboard to the
lcd) finally was crimped one to many times and severed.  I've looked
around high and low and even thought of rebuilding it, but the wires
are just too darn small and fragile.  Anyone have or know where to
find this cable, and would be willing to sell one?

I am not familiar with that particular cable, but if it is a flat flex cable then you can probably get a workable replacement from Digi-Key. That's where I bought a replacement for the cable in my Outbound Laptop which is pretty contemporary with the Portable.

However, installing it may be another matter, depending on your soldering skills. In the Outbound's case, the MB end slid into a socket, but at the LCD end it had to be soldered on and the pitch of the conductors (distance center-to-center) was fairly small.

Can you throw up a picture of the cable in question and post the URL? And/or measure the pitch of the cable (measure center to center for 11 conductors and divide by 10 or some such, since a single pitch measurement is too small to do acccurately), and the length and the number of conductors.

There are also companies that specialize in components for old laptops, but they'll want a bundle. For example, the model of Sharp LCD in the Outbound was listed for $75 a few years ago. I haven't checked since then.

Oh, and if it broke near an end which goes into a socket (and is a flat flex cable), you may be able to cut the break square, and then rub off the insulation on one side with a sharp blade and/or sandpaper, such that you can insert the reworked end into the socket. I've done that a few times wtih the Outbound LCD cables.

Jeff Walther