Hmm...Wierd.

I tried running without vglrun, and did get the same results.
However, as you suggested I ran xdpyinfo, and found that the extension
IS supported...

I also read my error more closely, and found that it looks like its
failing with error "not local" -- which is true...Is there some X
voodoo I could do to make the local x server not care that its not
local?

--Jim