On 3/1/11 3:02 PM, Nathan Kidd wrote:
> This matches what my WireShark trace saw (last request was
> glXCreatePBuffer).  In that hypothesis:

VGL handles glXCreatePbuffer() with no problems (I even test for that in
rrfakerut.)  In the trace, that function completes without error, so it
must be a subsequent call that is causing the problem.

> I can only speculate, with DRC, on weirdness in the NVIDIA driver.
>
> Normally in this case I'd take a trace and run it against a different
> driver, but I wasn't able to run against a tracing X server and have
> wine be happy. :(
>

> Hmmm, actually, I have an idea, based on what DRC said before about
> NV-GLX.  When an NV-GLX libGL talks to a server that supports NV-GLX it
> has additional traffic (major opcode 139 on my server).  This must be
> where the error comes from and why nothing decoded it.  Since NV-GLX is
> a private protocol, we don't have any VGL hooks for it.
>
> Experiment for whoever gets time first: in VGL disable NV-GLX in the X
> extension strings and see if that fixes it (since client libGL no longer
> is able to do NV-GLX traffic).

Except that the warning is printed precisely because the NV-GLX
extension can't be found on the 2D X server, so explicitly disabling it
in VirtualGL's interposed version of XQueryExtension() wouldn't affect
that outcome.  Also, I get the same warning when I run any GLX
application indirectly (without VGL) from my Linux/nVidia 260.19.36
machine to a remote X server that lacks NV-GLX, so this may just be a
red herring and have nothing to do with the problem at hand.

I still think it's an uninterposed GLX call slipping through.  nVidia
has, in the past, been known to call GLX functions (sometimes private
ones) from within the bodies of X11 functions (I don't know enough about
X11 driver architecture to say how they do this, but I guarantee you
it's happened.)