To answer your other question, RE: testing this, I don't have any ideas
of what to test.  I can't make the glXUseXFont() function fail in
TigerVNC using "toy" applications, so I'm not sure what Oasys Primer is
doing differently to make it fail.  Can you test using the latest
version of VirtualGL (2.3 beta) and the latest TigerVNC (1.2.0
evolving-- from
http://www.virtualgl.org/DeveloperInfo/TigerVNCPreReleases)?  I have no
ideas other than trying to narrow down further what version of the code
might be causing problems.  For instance, if upgrading VirtualGL while
leaving the TigerVNC version static fixes it, then it's likely a
VirtualGL issue.  If upgrading TigerVNC while keeping VirtualGL static
fixes it, then it's likely a TigerVNC issue.

The primary developers of TigerVNC also use VirtualGL, and they're also
in Sweden, so they may be in a better position to perform further triage
and determine whether this is in fact a VirtualGL or a TigerVNC issue.
While I continue to lend support to the TigerVNC Project, there are no
longer any plans to replace TurboVNC with it, and thus, it's not my
"baby" like TurboVNC is.  There are just too many problems associated
with trying to balance the performance needs of a general-purpose VNC
solution like TigerVNC and a targeted VNC solution like TurboVNC, and I
don't want to fight those battles again, since I've already fought them
once with TurboVNC.  Thus, I decided that it was easier to move forward
with TurboVNC and shore up the weaknesses with it (such as lack of a
RENDER extension, performance limitations on high-latency networks,
antiquated Unix GUI, etc.) and let TigerVNC evolve as a parallel effort.