I suspect that it may be the same bug as is reported here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3606409&group_id=117509&atid=678327

Thanks to the sponsored project I've been working on in recent weeks to
make compiz run in VirtualGL, I now have a recent-ish Ubuntu environment
set up with 3D acceleration, so I can take advantage of that to run the
Steam client and look into this issue.

Before I do, though, can you try the latest VGL build?

http://virtualgl.sourceforge.net/vgl.nightly/

I've fixed several things since 2.3.2 that may have accidentally fixed
this as well (most notably, Pixmap rendering is now implemented
differently, and the GLX swap interval extensions, which a lot of games
use, are now implemented properly.)

Also, I apologize for not having 2.3.3 out by now.  As soon as the
compiz stuff is sorted, it will be released.