Try something more simple first, like WGLspheres
(http://www.virtualgl.org/wglspheres.zip).  WGLspheres will print out
the OpenGL renderer, which should say "Chromium" if the 3D Guest
Additions are working properly.

Unfortunately, it is entirely possible that WGLspheres will work fine
but the game will still fail.  If the game is using DirectX, then all
bets are off, as D3D support is still experimental in VirtualBox.  If
the game is using OpenGL, then it is possible that it is using some
OpenGL extension that the VBox 3D Guest Additions don't support.  VBox
still uses Chromium as the basis for its 3D Guest Additions, and
Chromium is no longer actively maintained, so there are some known
compatibility issues with it.  VMWare uses Mesa Gallium instead of
Chromium to do 3D redirection from guest to host, and it generally works
a lot better and faster, but VMWare itself has other issues when running
in a VirtualGL/TurboVNC environment.  I really wish VBox would switch to
using Mesa Gallium as well.

In some cases, people have actually had good luck running games in WINE
and running WINE in VirtualGL.  Depends on the game, but if it is using
D3D rather than OpenGL, you may have a better chance of success with
this approach.