Popping the stack on this.  Xpra does work fine with VGL using the
pre-built packages at the link below.  The pre-built packages don't seem
to support any encoding other than PNG or RGB, though, so performance is
not great.  Would be nice to test the JPEG and x264 encoding abilities
without rebuilding the code.