On 1/30/14 5:36 AM, Dr. Roman Grothausmann wrote:
> On 29/01/14 10:30, DRC wrote:
>> The bug is easily reproducible.  I am suspicious that it might have
>> something to do with the application's use of FBO's, but I'm not
>> entirely sure what the problem could be, as other apps that render to
>> FBO's are known to work with VGL.  The application is clearly calling
>> glXSwapBuffers() (via glutSwapBuffers()) to swap the back buffer to the
>> front buffer, so that means it has somehow transferred the image from
>> the FBO into the back buffer already, and thus VirtualGL should be
>> picking up the pixels.  Obviously it isn't, but after 5 hours of poring
>> over it, I have no clue.  I would suggest maybe contacting the voreen
>> developers to see if they can at least shed some light on how their
>> application is drawing pixels to the canvas.  That could give me a clue
>> as to why it isn't working properly in VGL.
>
> Many thanks for looking into this. I informed the voreen developers that info
> is
> needed. Could it be the use of GLSL?

Possibly.  The thing that confuses me is that I see the app calling
glXSwapBuffers(), which means that it must have something to swap, which
means that pixels must be in the back buffer.  But when VirtualGL tries
to read those pixels, it gets nothing.  I'm also unclear as to how the
app is delivering the rendered pixels from the FBOs it creates into the
back buffer, and looking at both the OpenGL trace (using apitrace) and
the VirtualGL trace didn't reveal anything obvious.  I'm sure it is
doing something that VirtualGL somehow isn't catching.  I just don't
know what.