What version of HyperMesh?  Altair actively sells VirtualGL and TurboVNC
as part of their grid service offering, so I know that it has been
tested.  The only possibility is that a new version came out that broke
something, or perhaps there is something different about your environment.

What graphics adapter and driver version are you running?