Your question doesn't make sense, which means that either you aren't
choosing your words correctly or you still don't understand how the
system is supposed to work.  What do you mean by "running"?  The 3D X
server is completely independent of TurboVNC.  They are different X
servers.  VirtualGL is the bridge between the two.  The 3D X server has
to be running if you are using VirtualGL.  It does not have to be
running if you are using TurboVNC without VirtualGL.