On 25/2/24 07:05, Jo Durchholz wrote:
> On 24.02.24 20:19, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> <<OTOH Firecracker is very new, so I'm somewhat reluctant to jump that
>> bandwagon anyway.>>
>>
>> Not new. Been in production for years now.
>
> I admit I was going by assumptions, based on the fact I had never heard
> about it before, despite having been in the CI/CD treadmill for a few
> years.
>
>> https://github.com/firecracker-microvm/firecracker
>
> Hm.
> V 1.0.0 came out in Jan/Feb 2022, so in that sense, it's somewhat new.
>
> Might have been in production use in pre-1.0.0 versions, of course.
> I tend to assume software exists starting with 1.0.0, pre-1.0 versions
> tend to be very experimental and/or require handholding by the engineers
> that are building it.
> Of course, for a shop like AWS, that's not always the most accurate
> assumption :-)

Took me a while, but I have let go of waiting for 1.0 releases. If it
works - use it, if it breaks - help make it better, otherwise you just
re-invent the wheel to get what you want.

How long was openssl in wide use before 1.0 ?

There is always something to fix and something to add. Tagging a release
or build as v1.0 is only a decision, it isn't a certainty of stability.

I have about 20% of installed pkgs with a version starting with 0

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler