At 10:15 AM +0100 3/26/08, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:41:56 -0500, "Craig A. Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> At 9:27 AM +0100 3/24/08, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> > > FYI, this test was added by the updated metaconfig tools, not by any
>> > patch from the perl community, so it missing in any of the OS's that
>> > do not use Configure was not a big deal.
>> >
>> > However, this is good housekeeping. I'd love to see the remaining OS
>> > variants updated too.
>>
>> On Mac OS X, I'm seeing:
>>
>> <poll.h> found.
>> Hmm.  Based on the hints in hints/darwin.sh,
>> the recommended value for $i_poll on this machine was "undef"!
>>     Keep the recommended value? [y]
>>
>> Do all the hints files need to be updated?  The IO extension includes
>> poll.h unconditionally, so pretty much everything must have it.

I was wrong about that.  IO includes its own local poll.h, and
ext/IO/poll.h has

#if (defined(HAS_POLL) && defined(I_POLL)) || defined(POLLWRBAND)
#  include <poll.h>
#else
#ifdef HAS_SELECT

I'm also confused about i_poll vs. i_syspoll.  Only the latter is
new.  So if the Mac OS X (Leopard) hints are wrong, it is only for
i_poll, not the new i_syspoll.

>I obviously underestimated the effect  of this automatically being added
>by the new configuration stuff.
>
>If poll.h is automatically always included, we are either doing it wrong
>or we have no alternatives, in which case the check would be void. I can
>remove it if that would be preferred.

Probably ignoring me would be safer.  But I am genuinely confused
about the difference, if any, between poll.h and sys/poll.h.  If they
are just different locations for the same thing, should Perl really
have two configuration settings?
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."