At 11:48 PM -0500 6/16/08, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>Just to see how much would be involved to build Perl using the GNV subsystem,
>I tried it.
>
>Since VMS currently is bundled with LDAP, SSL, SSH, and Kereberos libraries, I
>was curious to see if Perl was looking for any of them.

Seems unlikely, particularly as part of the core configuration
process.  Modules could be a different matter.

>Most of the tests for the existence of the header files failed.  I am assuming
>that it was trying to find them in the usual places on a *NIX system.

It mostly compiles little test programs -- I'm not sure if it does
any actual filesystem hunting at all.

>On VMS, most of the header files are in a library, and the rest are on their
>own special paths, so the only UNIX procedure that finds them is compiling a
>test program.
>
>:        exit(0);
>:........^
>:%CC-I-IMPLICITFUNC, In this statement, the identifier "exit" is
>: implicitly declared as a function.
>
>On VMS, if you call a routine with out the system headers, you get the oldest
>entry point for that function, and some functions are not visible unless the
>header files are used to prototype them.

You need to get the equivalent of CC/PREFIX=ALL and possibly other
options in there for the compiler.  Something like:

$ Configure -ccflags="-I. -std01 -ieee" might be a place to start.  Do

$ cc -h

within bash to see the options for GNV's wrapper around the native compiler.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser