Hi Lingfeng,
 for those cases you might want to add a subdivision step right before
centerlines (note that this might lead to a large surface and longer
computation times):

vmtksurfaceconnectivity -ifile airway.vtp --pipe vmtksurfacesmoothing -passband
0.01 -iterations 30 --pipe vmtksurfacesubdivision -method butterfly --pipe
vmtkcenterlines -ofile airway_centerlines.vtp

There are a few degenerate cases that still lead to infinite loops in certain
occasions. When I get to it, this issue will likely be solved at its root.
I'll keep you posted on this one.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Luca