Hi all,

> I am a systems tech for a Public Library District in
> Colorado.  We currently have over 250 PCs in 9
> libraries, and the number is growing.  Our district
> serves a primarily rural county and our service area
> covers nearly 4,000 square miles.  Our staff has only
> two PC technicians that support this entire district.

That's a hell of support base! :-)

Tridia and TightVNC both come with the ability to hide the tray icon. You'll need
to add an extra registry key, but that's not rocket science.

IMO, if you don't want to show the tray icon, it's better to run Tridia/Tight and
hide it rather than not run it. If you don't run it, VNC won't be able to discern
who is logged on. This is useful for printing up warnings that the screen is
about to be shadowed.....

On a related topic - how hard would it be to produce a static warning box that
didn't disappear until the shadowing stopped? That way your user couldn't be
spyed on and you wouldn't have to have the tray.

BTW - consider disabling boot from floppy or CD as there's a linux disk that'll
allow reg editing / admin access to the local NT/2000 box.

Later,
Richard