In the X11 area, the colordepths are about same age. The 8 bit has an
advantage over the other colordepths, that is the private colormap and the
ability to alter the colordefinition for a given color number. Its used by
several signalling apps that can change the color scheme of the entire app
in some simple commands to allert the user.

CBee