Well, actually there is something like multiple display and multiple monitor
on unix. If you carefully look to the $DISPLAY setting in X11, you see
something like "localhost:0.0" or "vncserver:1.0". If you translate this to
(pc-style) hardware, then it is somethign like this: The first number is for
the X11-server, a combination of 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 1 or more
display-adapters. The second number is to address the "1 or more"
display-adapters. If you have a display-adapter with multiple monitors, it
is either configured as 2 (virtual) display-adapters, or configured as a
single large screen spread over the monitors.

In the above, I use the next terms:
$DISPLAY                the address for the windows.
display-adapter the hardware in the (isa/pci/...) slot.
monitor         the screen you look at.

> In this sense, WinVNC does not support more than one display per host.

WinVNC does not support more than one $DISPLAY setting per host since there
can run only one WinVNC server per host.

If you have multiple monitors connected to one display-adapter resulting in
a system where you can have a single window spread over both (all?)
monitors, I think vnc only sees a single-large display and forwards that,
since it just sees the entire screen.

This is kind of like a laptop/lcd-monitor with a panning display (large
screen with smaller viewport or such) where you cannot see the entire
display at the monitor. VNC just forwards the entire display, not what just
happens to be viewable in the monitor.

If you have multiple monitors connnected to multiple (virtual)
display-adapters resulting in a system whre you can move the mouse and
windows from one monitor to an other but not have a single window spread
over multiple monitors, I'm about sure vnc only forwards the first part
(primary monitor) since it does not see the other ones (as it does not look
for it).