first, thanks for Scott C. Best's reply. I have asked for some help before.

Yesterday I made a test in my office,  The vncserver is still my office pc (win2000
pro), and the viewer is another pc(win98) in my office.
Firstly, the viewer pc connect to the LAN via network card, the vncviewer can easily
connect to the server.
Secondly, I dial-up the viewer pc to the public Internet, it can't connect to the
server,  neither telnet to the server 5900 port. I check my dial-up connection
property----"banding TCP/IP protocol".
Thirdly, I asked my friend who is in another city connecting to my vncserver. He did
successfully, and his computer(Win2000) connect to the LAN via network card.

so draw a conclusion!*!*Winvnc can't be used on dial-up network!? why? it's not true
in the vnc document. Who can explain that for me?

Thanks in advance.