If you have more than a view users, better use the setup as on
http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp . Only disadvantages,
only one viewer to a session (no more, no less). Major advantage: only setup
as above and no user specific setup. Users can pick their size and geometry
on connecting. (btw: the site focusses on RedHat. COmmercial unixes are even
simpler (only /etc/services and inetd configuration needed).

> they are allowed to use with Xvnc.  I couldn't rely on users to start
> their Xvnc session with the right display number, so I'd need for Xvnc to
> disallow initiation of sessions with the wrong display value.  Is it
> possible for Xvnc to do this?

No. If you want a live list, see the output of `netstat -a` for a base and
see if you can filter your live sessions from there. However, it might only
list the sessions that have a viewer-server connection, I don't know if it
lists servers without a current viewer.