This lan should be considdered a single network.

> through the internet and the routers at both ends.  Both machines have
DSL.

Internet is an other network (actually, a network of networks).

> Someone at Earthlink support suggested I install a "bridge" or a "modem"
> instead of a "router".  What is that?  Does anyone have any brandnames
> they'd be willing to suggest?

Those are general terms for devices to make networks or to connect networks.
To list some more of these networking devices:

amplifier, hub, T-pice: parts to make a single network. Machines connected
with those can see all trafic to and from all machines on the same network.
Those stuff have no configuration or such.

bridge, switch: parts to combine single networks to a 'virtual' single
network. broadcasted trafic goes to all machines on all connected networks,
directed trafic, only goes to the proper direction. Those devices most time
can do without configuration, they configure themselves on the fly.

router, gateway, modem: parts to inter-connect networks. Only directed
trafic passes if configured to pass. Need dedicated configuration to operate
properly. Some (most consumer models) can be configured from the network
side.

Hence, to answer your question: the earthlink support is pointing you to
ease of configuration. For brandnames, there are way to many to choose from,
then, I can point you to a device for sale at my side of the globe, but not
available on your side...

To help you, remove all stuff you don't need to get started. Once you have
that going, then add security and routing step by step.