> However, there is still a problem, which I suspect has to do
> with port forwarding.  For example, when accessing a PC with
> VNC through a Linksys router, you need to open a port on the
> Forwarding page of the router configuration to get to the
> machine on the other side of the router.  I still can't get
> to the friend's PC, even though we now know the address of
> the modem.  With Linksys, you can open a browser window and
> go to 192.168.1.1, which takes you to the setup.  This
> address doesn't work with the modem, and I don't know what
> else to try.  There MUST be a way to access the modem's
> settings from the PC!

        Does she have a modem+router combo device?  Or two device separately?  I asked
so because AFAIK modem doesn't have any address.  It's just a, well, modem!  Normally,
you don't have to care about modem settings.  Does her router or router+modem combo
allows remote management from Internet side?  If yes, this can be a way of testing if
its IP address is what you expected.