If your office network is behind a firewall, it's possible that the firewall
is configured to filter "ping" in both directions (ie from outside to inside and vice
versa).  At least, this is by default for Cisco firewall.

        So, to ping your home PC, it is better to use an ISP account to check it.
Dialup an ISP and check ping and VNC from that point could help you reduce down the
possible cause of problem.  You just need about 5 min to see if that segment works or
not.  For the rest, you could consult the FAQ or make a search of this mailing-list.
It's being discussed again and again.