First question, your DSL modem only has USB connection?  No Ethernet port?  If
you're doing more than simple websurfing, I would suggest you using Ethernet if
possible.  I've a cable modem and before, I was using the USB connection to my PC but
having a lot of problem (like VPN to my office).  Then, I change to Ethernet and
everything's resolved.

        It seems that some modems use obscure NAT to make USB work like network.  So
is this warning to you.

        Second, when you're talking about ICS, it's certainly on a Windows platform.
If you install VNC server in this ICS machine, could you VNC to it?  If yes, you need
to do "port forwarding" (or publishing ?) configuration in it.  Check the FAQ for it.

        By the way, why don't you buy a router to replace your ICS?  A simple one
won't cost you more than $100!  And it's a lot more reliable than Windows.  Moreover,
modern routers mostly offer web-based management GUI so you could configure it from
anywhere.  Don't forget, Windows servers need a lot of reboot, real routers don't.