"Robert Echlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> # DISPLAY=:0.0 XAUTHORITY=/var/gdm/:0.Xauth vncconfig -list
>
> I am not running VNC on :0, as confirmed by variations of your command:

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

> (sudo did not work - it assumed that DISPLAY was an executable)

For what it's worth, to use sudo (from a Bourne-like shell) you'd do

DISPLAY=... sudo ...

> However, it looks like I can manually run my programs in :1 from :0
> using a command line that sets DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY before the main
> program is run. Thank you, Dave!

You have something strange set up, perhaps in ~/.vnc/xstartup or your
login, if you need to worry about XAUTHORITY.  This is on a fedora 3
system; everything happens in ~/.Xauthority since XAUTHORITY isn't set:

$ rpm -q vnc
vnc-4.0-8
$ vncserver :1 2>/dev/null
$ DISPLAY=:1.0 xdpyinfo | head -4
name of display:    :1.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
vendor release number:    60801000
$ env|grep XAUTH
$

> Since the /var/gdm stuff is only useful for root processes, I can see
> why a bash process might be given a copy of it with a unique name.

The console user gets the cookie for the gdm session copied to their
.Xauthority so that they can use the console.  I don't know exactly
what is done where on fedora but, as on other systems, you shouldn't
have to worry about it.