Stephen
There is no compatibility problem with XP Home or Pro with RealVNC
The problem is entirely with the current user  setup
from some of the emails I have seen there is absolutely no use for the
firewall router other than sharing the Internet connection it is not
protecting you in the least  according to your description of the
firewall rules]

>Are you running the server on XP Home edition, as this appears to be where
>the incompatibility lies?

In _YOUR_ System the compatibility problem exists
you need to specifically allocate with port /  IP combination is in use

this is entirely demonstrable by connecting machine A to B inside the
same network
ie 192.168.0.103 to 192.168.0.102

it will work like a charm if the user sets it up properly
It certainly appears to be a problem with your router/firewall

>>Attacking someone's software ("does do only one thing...") while trying
>>to get them to help you is a dubious proposition at best.
>>

>>it's almost certainly
>>something in your environment that's wrong.
>>
>>The fact that it works if someone does an AddClient seems interesting to
>>me, but I think the next that I would try, is to swap the ip addresses
>>between the XP Home and Windows ME machines, and see what happens.  If
>>the problem follows the ip address, then it's clearly something in your
>>router setup.  If it doesn't, then it's something on your XP home
>>machine.  It could be something as simple as desktop control software,
>>some fancy screensaver or desktop add on, or something like that.
>>
>>-Kelly

Hi Stephen

Remote control software for free that works EXTREMELY  well is REALVNC;
I am sure that  TightVNC UltraVNC also work.

    If you are having that much of a problem go buy PC ANYWHERE.
    {although I am quite sure it won't solve your issue}  and fight with
    the 3 rules required to forward conection to the machine you wish to
    control; don't forget to license both ends of the connection

To answer you question; Yes I have had windows XP Home working with
RealVnc server & vncviewer
Both UserMode & Server Mode;

I have also had it working on Linux  with Linux; Linux with windows 2000
; Linux - windows 2000 server; Linux-windows XP Home; Linux- windows XP Pro;
Windows XP Home --- Windows2000; XPHome--2000 server; XPHome--XP Pro ;
XPHome-- XP Home
XP Pro --  Windows 2000; XPPro--  2000 server;  XP Pro -- XP home

Please Note:
In every case I needed to _correctly_ setup the firewall in use at each
location
Whether it was Zone alarm, or the Windows XP Built-in firewall, or a
netgear, DLink or Linksys router or  in  any such combination or alone
or with a hardware firewall. they all need to be adjusted to point at
what I want where I want.

It is all about control; you need to maintain it.

Stephen Menard