I don't think it's a timing issue, as 90% of the time I can log in
within 20-30 seconds of a reboot.

In fact, If I try to VNC into the PC at the same time that its
re-booting, it will wait patiently until the connection appears, and
then allow a log in.

Ben

Could this be a timing issue?

I've found, even without using VNC, that after rebooting my XP Pro
system it takes what I think is a huge amount of time before the system
is "stable".

Could it be that the VNC listener is not fully operational when you try
to log in?

Or that the firewall hasn't got its wits completely about it yet so it
thinks it shouldn't allow the connection?

What happens if, after rebooting a server you wait a *long* time, say 5
minutes, before logging in again? Do you still see the failure? If not,
try cutting the time down, and down again etc. until it starts failing.
Then you'll know how long you need to wait before trying a new login
after a reboot.

Of course, this may be complete nonsense ...

Harold Fuchs