i have to reply to this type of rant

I am NOT Affiliated in anyway with RealVNC
I have used it since before it was released from At&T Labs
I have used it with OS 9; OSX ; Linux; Windows; SCO
and a few PDAs

I DO NOT Speak for anybody but myself

I know that when someone attacks a product especially when it is not at
fault
it speaks poorly of the attacker

Freddy Jensen wrote:

>I discovered that a RealVNC 4.1.2 client on WinXP cannot
>connect to a VNC server running on a MacOS 10.4.8.

or 10.4.6; 10.4x; 10.3 because Apple does not  say they have installed
REALVNC
They only say they have apple remote software
which happens to use the same port; why would you assume that it is RealVNC
When I want to remotely control a computer I set it up.
If I have a Mac I can control it with Apple's remote access
Otherwise I need to install software

Have you heard of osxvnc?
It was available for remote access
 until you can find the RealVNC for MAC from RealVNC

>Initially it connects, and it takes forever to draw
>the first screen (like 15 secs). When the screen is
>finished drawing then the VNC client disconnects with
>a message saying:
>
>"unknown message type"

An indication something about the MAC that is Non-Compliant with VNC

>I tried downgrading my client to RealVNC 4.1.1, and then
>it worked. However, the performance is really bad. It is
>unusable.

Ever consider the problem is a configuration issue?

>Then I tried the latest "UltraVNC", and it worked much
>better. It is still slow,... actually so slow that you
>can't really do any serious work with the setup, but at
>least I can connect to the Mac.
>
>Now my question is:
>
>Should I give up completely on using VNC to control my
>Mac remotely?

Because RealVNC is not installed on your MAC

>It is really a shame that RealVNC 4.1.2 doesn't work at
>all and that RealVNC 4.1.1 only works marginally.

RealVNC Works fine
But there is NO 4.1.1 for MAC
And there is NO 4.1.2 for MAC
There IS a 4.2.x BETA for MAC  ;-)

>Also, I think it would be a good idea for the RealVNC
>developers to find out why "UltraVNC" is so much
>faster than RealVNC for this setup.

ultraVNC does not support the newer realVNC

>I would like to stay loyal to RealVNC and use it for all
>my remote access needs, but in this case I simply can't
>use it for controlling my Mac.

Install RealVNC for MAC; don't Assume Apple has done it for you

>In general, the only RealVNC setup that I use that is
>superior in performance is when I use a RealVNC 4.1.2
>client on a WinXP to connect to a  RealVNC 4.1.2 server
>running (in memory) on my Linux machine. In that scenario
>the performance is outstanding (over a 2mbps DSL line).

This line speed is more than OK for remotely controlling a computer
UNLESS you are trying to  [pick your high res screen / hi- bit depth /
highly detailed / multi point / mouse action in a program]

which may require you to wait for a full screen redraw which may take a
couple of seconds
then you may want to change the setting to update screen region and
under mouse [Option in realvnc prefs];-)

>I realize that the main reason for this is that the VNC
>server does not need to drive any display. It only reacts
>to redraw requests from the client.

all remote software needs to drive the display; that's the way computers
work; whether remote or local; or whether it is duplicated locally
and/or remotely
makes no speed difference
except the local user may notice a delay between updates as the data
transfers over the WAN

>In both of the two other scenarios where the RealVNC
>server runs on either a WinXP or a Mac and I connect
>to them via a WinXP VNC client, then the servers have
>to drive the local screen on the machine in addition
>to responding to redraw requests from the remote client.
>This is the main reason that those two scenarios are not
>usable at all for doing real work.

I _really_ beg to differ; driving both displays does not slow the
machine down
the amount of data required t odrive a display is the limiting factor
what is the size of a screen 1024x768xmillionsofColors?

there si NO MYSTERY about the required Data Pipe

1024x768   RGB  256 colors  3x8 =  2.3 MegaBytes
1024x768  Greyscale  8 bits= 768KBytes

1024x768   RGB  32 bits = 4x8 much bigger  ;-)  6.9Megs?

which hurts in our instant world

Now if you are not using an 8 bit display 768kBytes ; which most graphic
software would look really poorly at that greyscale resolution; you
would be preferring a 24 bit color display 2.3MB or 32 bit Color even Higher

2 mbit high speed internet does not typically trasnmit & receive at the
same speed
so while I may receive a 2 mbit stream;
I can only send a 256 Kbit stream on a lot of the worlds DSL lines

ever wonder why current video cards have more than eight megs of video ram?
and they are pushing 64, 128, 256 MB of Video RAM These Days?

do you remember 24 bit nubus  video cards in MacIIfx; not even available
on the PCs of that time; I have a couple in the back storage room :-)
they were expensive and nowhere near the 64 ,or  128 megs we can use in
onboard video these days ;-P

!crikey!
---------------
I Support and remotely configure run and help users with a) multiple users
b) Mac OSX c) Windows XP Home d) Windows XP Pro e) Win2000 f) server
(all versions)
They always have to respond to redraw requests ; whether local or network
I have not seen a penalty; except! that the local display wait for the
network display. a small price for remote control
 Timbukto does that same thing! which I _have used cross-platform since
the early 90's

>It is a shame,... It would be really nice if RealVNC could
>be improved in such a way that for both the WinXP VNC server
>and for the MacOS VNC server it would log out the local user
>when a remote client connects (just like the WinXP remote
>desktop does).

Why would you want to force a logged in user to log out and lose all
current allipcation and work files?

>Then the VNC server would only have to respond
>to redraw requests from the remote client and would not have
>to spend CPU cycles on driving the local screen.
>
>I don't understand why this is not possible.
>
>Is it because the two OS'es do not provide the necessary
>hooks for logging out the local user and driving the local
>screen in memory?

no; It is a ton of data to transmit; we are used to local speeds of the
hardware
It is not CPU Speed it is Data pipe limitations;
luckily there is good compression available these days
which typically does not hurt cpu speed

>If that's the case, then perhaps the RealVNC developer
>community might consider asking the two vendors (MSSoft
>and Apple) to provide those hooks.

There are documents on the Web; on how to simultaneously log-in
multiple users with OSX with eah their own display

On windows it is called Terminal services and is only supported with MS
SERVER software; or an add-on like Citrix