Flag Dad wrote:

>Thank you all for the response. But here is what I am trying to do. A friend
>said I could dl VNC to connect from my computer to a friends computer via the
>internet to help them with some problems. I dl-ed VNC but don't know how it
>works or how to set it up. What needs to be running on which computer for the
>link up to work via internet? All I know is, when I start the Viewer it ask
>for a Server. What do I type in that box? And what do I need on my computer
>and what do they need on their computer? The Server on which computer and
>Viewer on which computer? Then how do I talk to the other one??? This part of
>networking is all new to me and trying to learn. Thank you for responding when
>you do. Steve

download realvnc from webpage
you only need the viewer software for theperson viewing the other computer
although i find it is just as well to install the full software on both
systems

when you install the vnc software
it asks if you want to install the server or viewer or both on one on
the screens during the install.

the person whose computer you are going to view is the server;
it should have a white square with VNC down near the clock in the taskbar

check out http://www.whatismyip.com for your ip address;
the person or computer server needs to supply you that information so
your viewer can connect to the server with the viewer. if there is a
router or firewall at the server end; [rules neeed to be  adjusted to
allow that traffic. port 5800 and 5900 by default need to be forwarded]

as an alternative you can turn on vncviewer in listening mode;
the server can then right click trhe vnc whitesquare and add new client
from the popup menu;
they would enter your viewer ip address. [your firewall router would
need to forward port 5500]