That all sounds ok to me, except that I've never had occasion to test the
connection via a dynamic DNS name from/to a client within the same subnet -
obviously you'd never need to do this apart from testing.  Two possibilities
suggest themselves (but don't assume I haven't missed anything!):  firstly
that the Belkin simply can't handle the incongruity of the combination of
NAT (where the router has to keep track of which LAN client issued, say, a
particular web request so that it can route the pages accordingly) and
port-forwarding, which caters for an externally originated connection.  The
other possibility is that the dynamic DNS isn't working, and you're pinging
some innocent bystander, which is dutifully responding (been there, t-shirt,
etc).  DynDNS have a (short) list of certified hardware and say that many
devices don't work acceptably well.  They have a software client which is
free to download and easy to configure.  However, you can ensure that the
DNS setting is correct by logging on to DynDNS from any machine on your LAN
and updating the address (ideally after disabling the router facility just
in case).  Presumably you want to make this connection from a server outside
your own LAN.  Can you (after lowering the security settings) access the
router's configuration pages from outside?  Have you tried getting an
external server to connect?

Incidentally, in the scenario you describe you need forward only port 5500
to the host of the listening client; you would only need to port-forward
5800 or 5900 if you are trying to reach a server (rather than client) from
outside the LAN.

Philip Herlihy