I'm not using that combination; in either case, I think I'm using TightVNC on
my Suns, in one case on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9), in another on a development
release of what will eventually become Solaris 11 (SunOS 5.11).

You don't actually identify your Solaris release.  Solaris 2.x (x = 0-5, 5.1,
6) corresponds to SunOS 5.x (uname -r); for x > 6, it's just Solaris x = SunOS
5.x.  I think the earliest to have any
support for scroll wheels was either Solaris 8 with a bunch of
patches, or Solaris 9.  That support was in basically a couple of
places: the X server (which you're probably not using if you're using vnc,
since I don't think the way of having vnc available in a regular X server to
remote control a running session was generally available on Solaris), and the
various toolkits.

Solaris follows the convention on other X based systems where (since core X11
only defines X and Y motion for pointers) vertical scroll wheel steps map to
clicks of fictional mouse buttons 4 and 5 (not sure which corresponds to
scrolling up vs down), and, in much more recent versions, may deal with
horizontal scroll wheel steps similarly as fictional mouse buttons 6 and 7.

So the X server (or Xvnc server) has to handle the input (from physical device
or from the network, respectively) and send the corresponding mouse button 4-5
(or 4-7) events to applications; but the applications (usually the GUI toolkits
they use like Athena, Motif, GTK+ (GNOME), Qt (KDE)) have to know what to do
with them too.  That didn't happen all at once in Solaris; while GNOME and KDE
probably always handled them, Motif was slower to support scroll wheels.  But
they can typically be added after-the fact with the appropriate magic
.Xdefaults (or per-app resource file) entries to define accelerators for scroll
widgets.   Search google groups (Usenet archives) for info; as I recall, this
was discussed quite a bit at the time.

To check if the VNC client and server are even passing the scroll related
events, run xev on the remote end; it should report events for pressing and
releasing the mouse buttons I mentioned when the scroll wheel is being used, if
they work.  If they don't work, make sure that it's not the VNC client (try a
different VNC server).

Like I said, the one I'm running (TightVNC, 1.2.8 I think, from the blastwave
collection of pre-built freeware for Solaris - which may install a bunch of
duplicate dependencies since it runs across a range of Solaris versions, the
earlier of which may not include suitable versions of various dependencies)
handles at least vertical scrolling just fine.

Since Xvnc servers generally start life as X servers with VNC instead of
physical device support, I can't rule out that some of them might have some
configuration files to fool with, although since VNC protocol hides most of the
differences that a physical X server would have to deal with among real
hardware, I've never had to do that.

On Jul 27, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Jeff Thompson wrote:

> How can I get wheel mouse scrolling working? I'm running free VNC 4.1.3
> on Windows XP sp3 and connecting to a Solaris (Sun 5.0) box. I'd like to
> be able to scroll the Solaris windows using my mouse wheel.
>
> Jeff Thompson
> Senior Software Engineer
> Enablence Systems
> FTTx Networks Division
> 1075 Windward Ridge Parkway
> Alpharetta, GA 30005
> (W) 678-893-5922
> (F) 678-339-1030
> www.enablence.com <http://www.enablence.com/>
>
> NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are Enablence
> confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
> to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
> please notify the sender. This message contains Enablence confidential
> information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are
> not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
> this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
> received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
> If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
> copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents
> of this information is strictly prohibited.
>

> NOTICE:This email and any files transmitted with it are Enablence
> confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
> whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
> notify the sender. This message contains Enablence confidential information
> and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
> notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
> mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended
> recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking
> any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly
> prohibited.

The waitress asked, "Do you want lemon or no lemon with that iced tea?"
Naturally, I said "yes", and then burst out laughing, because there simply
wasn't any other answer in Boolean logic.  She didn't get it, but I got
the lemon, which I wanted anyway.  Later, I realized a quantum computer
could have offered another answer: Schroedinger's Lemon!