I use xrandr because I access by VNC server from both home and work, and I have
different size monitors.

I've noticed that often, after the span of a few days, xrandr resize no longer
works.  That means, I give it the command, and the server doesn't resize.
Mysteriously, it generates no error message, either.  When I try to resize
using the verbose command line option, there's no clue there as to why it
fails, either.  (Subsequent querying of xrandr shows that xrandr itself
"believes" that the size didn't change, for what that's worth.)

I can't find error messages in the VNC server log in ~/.vnc, nor anywhere else.

The VNC server lives on a RHEL 5.7 box.  The version of VNC is
vnc-E-4.5.21561-1.

Best,

Stephen J. Fromm, PhD
Contractor, NIMH/MAP