Posted by Eugene Volokh:
HPV Vaccine in Texas:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_02_04-2007_02_10.shtml#1170718568

   Last Friday, Texas Governor Rick Perry issued an [1]executive order
   requiring that "[t]he Health and Human Services Executive Commissioner
   shall adopt rules that mandate the age appropriate vaccination of all
   female children for HPV prior to admission to the sixth grade," though
   allowing parents to refuse on conscientious grounds. (The relevant
   state statute, Health & Safety Code ยง 161.004(d), provides that "A
   child is exempt from an immunization required by this section if ... a
   parent, managing conservator, or guardian states that the immunization
   is being declined for reasons of conscience, including a religious
   belief.")

   The governor's action has led to a good deal of objection, from both
   social conservative and libertarian circles. I thought I'd pass along
   a few tentative thoughts of my own. Because the aggregate of the
   thoughts is long, I'll break it up into a few posts; in this one I'll
   just set out the key facts:

   HPV (Human Papillomavirus) apparently causes about 70% of cervical
   cancers; there are about 10,000 new cases of cervical cancer in the
   U.S. per year, and 3700 deaths, which means that HPV kills about 2500
   American women each year. HPV is sexually transmitted; the vaccine,
   [2]the CDC reports, has been tested on 9-to-26-year-olds and appears
   to be nearly 100% effective if administered before a woman acquires
   HPV. It has not, however, been tested on women over 26, and thus is
   not recommended for them.

   I can't speak to how safe the vaccine is, though I have no reason to
   doubt the CDC's view that it is safe. If it is indeed too risky, that
   would of course be a plausible objection to it, but I'll set that
   aside for now. Rather, in coming posts, I'll discuss whether the
   vaccine is likely cost-effective; whether it might be
   counterproductive because it will lead to more risky sex and thus more
   diseases that stem from it; whether HPV is different enough from other
   diseases that government-mandated or even
   government-strongly-suggested HPV vaccination is improper; and how we
   might think about truly mandatory vaccination (which this doesn't seem
   to be) more generally.