Posted by David Kopel:
Arthur Schlesinger Jr. Biography:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_03_04-2007_03_10.shtml#1173392651

   The full text of my biography of Schlesinger is [1]now on-line, with
   individual chapters as PDF files. Schlesinger has long been a role
   model for me as a great writer and scholar, and as an intellectual who
   helped serve the country he loved by taking part in its public
   affairs.
   Scanning and reformatting the thesis for on-line publication also
   reminded me great it was that I could word-process the thesis on Brown
   University's mainframe. When I was a freshman, computer science
   students were programming with punch cards. It was wonderful to have
   word processing available; my thesis was much better as a result. And
   would have been much better still, if like today's lucky students, I
   had possesed a laptop computer.
   The thesis also reminded me just how terrible Vietnam was--not only in
   the direct effects of war itself, and the totalitarian regimes that
   won it--but also in how it more or less destroyed the liberal
   anti-communist movement which Schlesinger had done so much to create,
   and which did so many good things for America and the world in the
   1960s.
   And there was also the pleasure of rediscovering some great quotes
   from Schlesinger. Like an amazingly naive diary entry from when he was
   serving in the JFK White House, and moonlighting as a film critic;
   Schlesinger and Robert Kennedy met Marilyn Monroe in New York: "Bobby
   and I engaged in mock competition for her; she was most agreeable to
   him and pleasant to me."
   Then there's this diary entry from the spring of 1968, when all the
   politically correct people in New York City were supporting Eugene
   McCarthy for the Democratic nomination, while Schlesinger was
   supporting RFK: "I have never felt so much in my life the settled
   target of hostility...I am hissed at practically every public
   appearance in this city. I have just been out to get the morning
   Times, and inevitably someone harangued and denounced me on Third
   Avenue--again a McCarthyite. I think these people are crazy." The
   Angry Left is not a new phenomenon.
   And there's his characterization, from The Vital Center, of the
   foolishness of hoping that the problem of totalitarian aggression
   could be solved by world government, by the "pot of legalisms at the
   end of the rainbow." In the Americans for Democratic Action, which
   Schlesinger helped found, "we know that we are no longer living in a
   utopia. We are living in a jungle and we must do something about it."
   Re-connecting with his writings was a pleasant reminder--especially
   apt these days--of how a great political commentator can write with
   elegance and wit, skewering his ideological adversaries--without ever
   needing to use vulgar language, malicious hyperbole, or childish
   name-calling.