Posted by David Bernstein:
Kay Hymowitz on Libertarianism and Civil Rights:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_09_09-2007_09_15.shtml#1189652647

   Happy New Year to all our Jewish readers. Through the magic of
   technology, I'm posting tonight via Powerblogs' "publish later"
   function a post I wrote earlier. But in observance of the holiday, I
   won't be responding to comments.

   Kay Hymowitz [1]has an essay in the Wall Street Journal on
   libertarianism, which at times is fair-minded (especially when she
   praises "the law professors who write The Volokh Conspiracy"!), and at
   times, not so much.

   Here's an example of the not-so-much: "To the extent that libertarians
   are remembered at all for their role in the civil-rights era, it is
   not for marching on Selma but rather for their enthusiastic support of
   states' rights and the freedom of white racists to associate with one
   another."

   Libertarians, it's true, deserve criticism for not being more involved
   in opposing Jim Crow. There was a fair amount of moral blindness
   there, not uncommon to whites of the era.

   But Hymowitz's point is nevertheless exaggerated, at best. Certainly,
   libertarians did, and still do, support the right of freedom of
   association, but it's rather uncharitable to call this the "freedom of
   white racists to associate with one another." The principle of freedom
   of association existed and exists independently of the particular
   issues surrounding the civil rights movement. Unlike, say,
   conservatives, (to whom Hymowitz implicitly and unfavorably compares
   libertarians), libertarians did not abandon their belief in freedom of
   association once the Title VII passed and discrimination against
   blacks was off the table politically. One can argue, therefore,
   perhaps somewhat unfairly, that conservatives were less interested in
   freedom of association, and more interested in stifling the civil
   rights movement. One can't make that argument about libertarians, who
   continue to support the rights of everyone from the Nation of Islam to
   Utah polygamists to the Boy Scouts to religious "cults" to S&M
   fetishists to associate to their hearts content. In short, (some)
   conservatives, it seems, supported the "freedom of white racists to
   associate with one another." Libertarians supported freedom of
   association.

   Similarly, since when were libertarians known for their support of
   "states' rights?" By far the two most prominent libertarian essays on
   civil rights in the early 1960s were Ayn Rand's "Racism" and Milton
   Friedman's chapter on discrimination in Capitalism and Freedom.
   Neither expresses any support for "states' rights."

   In fact, Rand wrote that "[t]he Southern racists' claim of 'states'
   rights' is a contradiction in terms: there can be no such thing as the
   'right' of some men to violate the rights of others." Friedman, not
   surprisingly, thought that school choice was the best solution to the
   problem of segregation in schools, both southern and northern. But he
   also clearly states that given the choice of "enforced segregation or
   enforced integration, I myself would find it impossible not to choose
   integration." Enforced integration, of course, was the anti-states'
   rights position of the time.

   By contrast, reading the leading conservative organ of the time, the
   National Review, discussing Jim Crow in the South is enough to make
   one sick to one's stomach. Here's a quote from a 1957 editorial:

     The central question that emerges--and it is not a parliamentary
     question or a question that is answered by merely consulting a
     catalog of the rights of American citizens, born Equal--is whether
     the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures
     as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas
     in which it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer
     is Yes--the White community is so entitled because, for the time
     being, it is the advanced race.

   And here's a quote from an essay by Richard Weaver, a longtime NR
   favorite, also in 1957: "'Integration' and 'Communization' are, after
   all, pretty closely synonymous. In light of what is happening today,
   the first may be little more than a euphemism for the second. It does
   not take many steps to get from the 'integrating' of facilities to the
   'communizing' of facilities, if the impulse is there." And here's
   James Kilpatrick in NR, also in 1957: "the State of Arkansas and Orval
   Faubus are wholly in the right; they have acted lawfully; they are
   entitled to those great presumptions of the law which underlie the
   whole of our judicial tradition."

   Admittedly, NR's writers were not uniform in their views, and they
   mellowed overall during the early 1960s, but it was still not
   exceptional at this time to find frankly racist views expressed by
   certain leading conservative thinkers of the era; I haven't looked at
   it for a long time, but I remember being pretty shocked when I read
   James Burnham's Suicide of the West as a college student, based on
   NR's consistent recommendation.

   In any event, the point it not to condemn conservatism, or
   conservatives, for their past misdeeds. Rather, Hymowitz's article is
   in large part a critique of libertarianism for being insufficiently
   attuned to the importance of conservative values. She makes some
   reasonable points, but her implication that libertarians can learn
   from conservatives because libertarians were insensitive to racial
   injustice, well, that's a little much.