Posted by James L. Gibson, guest-blogging:
The Dangers of Politicized Campaigns For and Against Nominees to the United
States Supreme Court
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_19-2009_07_25.shtml#1248424558

   The central thrust of my arguments and analysis to this point has been
   that the U.S. Supreme Court enjoys a broad and deep reservoir of
   goodwill that allows it to get it decisions � even controversial and
   unpopular ones � to stick. That has probably not been true of the
   Court throughout American history, and it is certainly not true of
   high courts throughout the world (since I live in Africa right now,
   the ruling of the high court in Niger is an interesting example of
   judicial impotence).

   But is there anything at all that might undermine the legitimacy of
   the Supreme Court? Greg Caldeira and I believe we have found an
   instance in which the actions of interest groups are threatening to
   the Court�s legitimacy. This has to do with politicized processes of
   confirming nominees to the Court.

   The country has witnessed politicized nominations in the past. The
   vote on Judge Samuel Alito�s ascension to the High Bench was one of
   the most divided in recent history. And in 2008, Justice Clarence
   Thomas reignited old passions with the publication of his memoirs and
   with the repetition of his famous characterization of the Senate
   proceedings as �a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way
   deign to think for themselves.� While I of course recognize that, at
   some level, every nomination to the Court is politicized given the
   stakes involved in controlling the ideological path of the Supreme
   Court, some nominations mobilize interest groups and the mass public
   while others do not.

   A newly published book identifies some important threats associated
   with politicized confirmation processes. In Citizens, Courts, and
   Confirmations, Caldeira and I provide one of the first examinations
   ever of how confirmations processes shape the views of ordinary
   citizens.

   Based on a nationally representative survey conducted prior to the
   nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to a seat on the high court, during
   the confirmation process, and well after the process ended, this
   analysis examines how citizens� views of the U.S. Supreme Court were
   affected by the battle over whether Alito should be confirmed to a
   seat on the Court.

   The most important conclusion of that work is that politicized
   confirmation processes can indeed damage the institution itself. That
   is, our study shows that the legitimacy of the Supreme Court was
   diminished over the course of the confirmation process. In this
   conclusion, we are not referring to attitudes toward Alito himself,
   but rather to attitudes toward the fundamental legitimacy of the Court
   itself.

   The culprit seems to have been the advertisements run by interest
   groups, both for and against Alito�s confirmation. Groups were
   certainly active in this battle, spending more than three million
   dollars in trying to shape the views of the American people (and, by
   extension, the votes of the representatives of those people).

   And our survey data indicate that people were indeed attentive to the
   ads run, for or against, with something close to two-thirds of the
   American people reporting being exposed to advertisements regarding
   whether Alito ought to be confirmed.

   Most important, the willingness to extend legitimacy to the Supreme
   Court among those exposed to the ads declined from prior to the
   nomination to afterwards. Our surveys indicate that most Americans
   supported the nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court; but
   Americans who viewed the ads associated with his nomination came to
   have less faith in the Court itself.

   Many of the ads run for and against Alito�s confirmation were
   decidedly political, the ads differ little from attack ads used in
   ordinary political campaigns. After seeing these ads, it would not be
   surprising that many Americans concluded that the Supreme Court is
   just another political institution, and as such, is not deserving of
   any special deference or respect. When the Supreme Court loses its
   special status as a �non-political� political institution in the eyes
   of ordinary people, the institution is weakened.

   Any loss in the legitimacy of an institution like the Supreme Court is
   extremely significant, inasmuch as legitimacy is the principal
   political capital of courts. So if the legitimacy of the institution
   is diminished, then the efficacy of the institution is at risk.

   We have some understanding of the process that likely lead to these
   results. The Supreme Court profits greatly when citizens view it as
   being �above politics,� because �politics,� in the contemporary
   American case is not a highly regarded vocation. When the Court is
   seen as different from other political institutions, engaging in
   principled, not self interested and strategic decision making,
   legitimacy attaches to the institution.

   As I have argued, the lesson that judges are not �just politicians in
   robes� is taught via the highly accessible symbols of the legal
   process. When citizens pay attention to the Supreme Court, they are
   bombarded with these symbols of judicial uniqueness, and, as a
   consequence, judges are exempted from the disdain directed toward most
   ordinary politicians. So, if politicized nomination processes unteach
   the view that courts are different, institutional legitimacy suffers.

   In its rulings on the regulation of campaign activities, the Supreme
   Court itself has stripped governments of most legal means by which the
   free speech rights of interest groups might be restrained, and perhaps
   that is appropriate. After all, the Supreme Court is an enormously
   important policy-making institution � not just a court that decides
   legal disputes between parties � so in a democratic society all
   interests ought to enjoy maximal opportunity to determine who will be
   making legal policy. A democracy could hardly do otherwise.

   But perhaps groups themselves might understand that campaigns
   portraying the Supreme Court as just another political institution
   damage the authority of that institution. Because this is so, perhaps
   interested parties could exercise some restraint in their arguments,
   pro and con, regarding nominees to the high bench. I do not have any
   data on the effectiveness of politicized campaigns, although our
   survey reveals that the efforts of progressive groups to block Alito�s
   confirmation by painting him as excessively conservative clearly
   failed.

   I understand that calling for restraint is likely to be just as
   effective as calling on ordinary politicians to eschew negative attack
   ads, which, presumably, are used because they are thought to be
   effective. But given the evidence of an impact on popular esteem for
   the Court, groups and their supporters should exercise restraint in
   how they fight battles over nominations.

   This is not to say that groups should not try to convince the American
   people of the wisdom or folly of confirming a nominee to the Supreme
   Court. Americans understand what it means to be a judicial liberal or
   a judicial conservative, and debate on these ideological differences
   do not necessarily undermine judicial legitimacy. The American people
   accept that judges are policy makers, and must, perforce, rely upon
   their own ideological predilections in making their decisions.

   Honest and open debate over issues of privacy, of liberty, or
   equality, or of security is not off-putting to the American people and
   therefore does not undermine judicial legitimacy. People disagree over
   the direction of legal policy, and those disagreements are appropriate
   and legitimate. Those differences, however, can be debated in terms
   more appropriate to a legal institution like the U.S. Supreme Court.

   Putting ideology aside for a moment, all interests profit from a high
   court that can definitively decide very difficult issues of law and
   politics. To have the Supreme Court decide who would become president
   of the U.S. in 2000 likely had more beneficial consequences than
   having the House of Representatives select the president. The Supreme
   Court is a political institution but that does not mean that it is
   political in exactly the same sense as is Congress or the presidency.
   Undermining the Court�s authority is in the interest of no one.

   My own research on state judicial elections has clearly demonstrated
   that discussions of legal issues by aspirants to a seat on a court do
   nothing to undermine the perceived impartiality of judges and the
   legitimacy of courts. The American people want to know the ideological
   positions of candidates for the state and federal bench on issues such
   as abortion, gun control, affirmative action, prayer, takings, etc.,
   and few believe that judges who announce their positions on these
   issues cannot rule fairly and impartially from the bench.

   At the end of the day, whether ordinary people extend legitimacy to
   courts rides on whether their expectations are met. Stealth candidates
   in an age in which courts are so obviously policy-making institutions
   seem to violate the expectations of most.

   So discourse and debate on ideology are indeed possible without doing
   damage to the judiciary. Just as on this blog, there are comments that
   are reasoned, based on quite legitimate differences in views, and
   comments that are puerile and not worthy of replies. When it comes to
   courts and judges, we all profit from debate that is strong, but civil
   and respectful of legitimate ideological differences.