Posted by Eugene Volokh:
An Unusual Religious Accommodation Issue:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_20-2009_09_26.shtml#1253715517

   From the [1]Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

     A federal bankruptcy judge on Thursday ruled that the Hindu Temple
     of Georgia must allow creditors onto its property to inventory its
     assets and must not spend its income.

     Attorneys for the temple, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
     earlier this month to avoid foreclosure of its Norcross facility,
     had sought to block creditors from photographing or entering its
     holy places. They said any non-Hindus were barred from entering the
     temple while the priests are undergoing a 216-day period of
     spiritual cleansing.

     However, Judge James E. Massey found a compromise: whoever is sent
     by creditors to photograph and inventory the rooms must be a Hindu.

   Would it be legal for a creditor to assign this particular job task to
   an employee based on the person�s religion? Would that turn on whether
   there�s some tangible benefit involved -- such as extra overtime pay
   -- rather than just a one-time ask assignment? Would the
   classification be permissible on the grounds that in this case
   religion is an acceptable bona fide occupational qualification under
   Title VII? (For more on BFOQs, though in the context of sex
   classifications, see [2]here.) Relatedly, what if there�s a
   controversy about whether the selected person really qualifies as a
   Hindu?

   Or would the creditor likely avoid all this by just using an
   independent contractor? To my knowledge, religious discrimination in
   selecting independent contractors is generally not illegal under
   federal law, though I can't speak about Georgia law on this.

   More broadly, whether or not it's legal for creditors to do this on
   their own, there's also the question whether it's constitutional for a
   government agent -- the judge -- to order it. Is it unconstitutional
   discrimination based on a person's religion, or an acceptable
   accommodation of the temple's religious practice?

   I'm inclined to say that no-one will sue over this; but it still
   strikes me as an interesting scenario. Thanks to [3]Religion Clause
   for the pointer.