Looking closely at figures 5-8 of appendix 3 of the Lugano report, I believe
we can see evidence for the evolution of a mass 69 species during
sputter-cleaning of the samples while undergoing ToF-SIMS analysis in a
scanning electron microscope.

Figure 5 provides what amounts to a control run for these observations, with
only a carbon sticker present.    The mass 69 peak in the spectrum is barely
visible, way down in the noise.  My rough estimate from zoomed-in analysis
of the printed graph gives a count of ~530, or 5.3E+2.

Figure 6 shows the mass spectrum for raw fuel grains before
sputter-cleaning, and the mass 69 peak is still way down in the noise,
although in the graph the count is approximately 6.0E+3 - somewhat higher,
but most notably, the 69 peak is a small fraction of the Ni-60 and Ni-58
peaks.

Figure 7 shows the mass spectrum for the same raw fuel grains following 180
seconds of sputter-cleaning.   Besides the absence of (presumed) siloxane
peaks, there is now a robust mass 69 peak, ~3.0E+4, which is nearly equal in
magnitude to the mass 60 peak.  I believe that this peak indicates evolution
of the mass 69 in-situ during sputter-cleaning, likely as an intermediate
product in the nickel-lithium cyclic reaction which is driving the observed
enrichment processes.

Following an additional 16 hours of inactive storage in the SEM vacuum
chamber, figure 8 shows the same sample material now has the siloxane
signature apparent once again, but the mass 69 signal is appearing with the
same relative abundance as the mass 60 peak.

I do not have any direct experience with SEM analysis methods, and I am not
entirely certain what the significance of the ion source enrichment in Ga-69
implies.  However, I have a difficult time reconciling this series of graphs
with the notion that this peak-69 is occurring as purely instrument
artifact, owing to the great variability in abundance.

In addition, I highly suspect that peak 23 represents a reactant, despite
the warnings from the report text that this could be an artifact.  Once
again, I am hoping for further clarification from experts in ToF-SIMS
analysis to help clarify these interpretations.

-Bob Ellefson