Jones wrote:

 Interesting point from M.C. :

> > With all this talk about ethanol and hydrogen, let me take
> note of the water
> > bath calorimetry experiments of Mills which showed a heat
> release from
> > hydrogen 100 times greater than by combustion of the same
> amount of
> > hydrogen.
>

> The only obvious drawback to the Mills process, assuming his
> published results hold up under closer scrutiny is *energy
> density* which is a term that we are not used to hearing
> much about. As best I can tell, this lower energy density is
> due to the requirement of needing a rather thin plasma,
> which is irradiated with the RF but mildly so, and requiring
> a great deal of spatial volume relative to the energy
> produced.

In the first paper on the H-He+ experiment, Mills noted that the energy
density was comparalbe to an IC engine. Most of the work reported has been
of research character, not to see how high the energy density could be
pushed. Jones is right, the fundamental energy density of the reactiosn are
less than nuclear reactions seen in LENR.

In lab LENR experiments there is much evidence that the reactions occur at
isolated sites and only a small portion of a target mass may react. When the
reaction is actually understood, then it may be possible to fully engage a
target mass in the LENR reactions and marvelous devices built. We are an
unknown distance in time and man-years from that point.

At this point Mills is further down that road than LENR is, in terms of
organization, focus, and funding. Where both technologies will take us is
not determined yet.

> One thought occurs here in the context of a nuclear reactor.
> Reactors are just the opposite - having extremely high
> energy density.
>
> Can some of the best features of each technology be
> combined?
>
> Lets consider the Mills microwave Everson [sp] tube which
> uses hydrogen and helium, irradiated at the common oven
> frequency of 2.45 Ghz. It just so happens that those two
> gases, mostly He with about 10% H2 are both easily
> accommodated and usable within a reactor for several
> purposes - either neutron moderation or heat removal and
> especially conversion of heat into electricity, or for all
> of these. But the best thing is... once a hydrino reaches a
> certain level of shrinkage according to Mills, it will
> become more and more neutron-like so that near the final
> 137th stage, we have in effect a virtual neutron. This
> feature could allow hydrinos to become the "makeup"
> virtual-neutrons in a subcritical reactor scheme.

What Jones has not mentioned above is that at each stage of hydrino-hydrino
reactions leading to that theoretical point, more and more energy is
released -- hundreds of eV per atom. Also, the descent of one hydrino on
that scale is balanced by the ascent of another toward "ground" state. These
reactions are very complex; while their spectral signatures are seen,
details are very sketchy in publications and may be studied for years.

<snip>
Mike Carrell