Horace,

> Good grief, Jones, you act like this is new information!
Not that I
disagree with it, but I do feel compelled to say the source
(an anti-gas pipeline group in Georgia) hardly appears more
credible than the Sierra Club.

Some of the information has been around for years but was
not very well-substantiated before. The new tie-in to the
mass extinction is what is most surprising, because there is
very good proof emerging on many fronts of what happened
then. My recent inspiration is a new book by Michael Benton
called "When Life Nearly Died." I can't recommend the book
to a general audience as it is dense and technical, but it
does makes the case very strongly, if you can stick with it.
Besides there are many newbies here on vortex who don't
remember old posts and don't think it worth the effort to
look in the archives for any reason.

> As for the information not being new, and if you don't
care about the credibility of the source, I've been arguing
the same line for years, both here and on
sci.physics.fusion.

But Horace ... you are way ahead of your time, as are many
of the vortexians (the "other" Jones notwithstanding) , and
now it think public opinion is changing from a trickle in
favor of more appreciation for this monstrous risk we are
facing to more like a steady flow. The time to do something
is now. Don't give up trying to hammer it in, please, even
if it is "old hat" to you - after all you live on the fringe
of the danger zone, and will be among the first to go ;-(
as it were.  A lot is at stake. That hasn't changed, but the
point is that this has started to transcend politics and
will continue to do so.

> Below, replete with my many spelling errors, is part of
one of the debates I had with Mitchell Jones 6 years ago
(gee, whatever happened to him?)  Well Jones, when you are
an iconoclastic member of the free energy lunatic fringe I
guess you just lose all credibility.  8^)

Not exactly, it just takes a while for the rest of the world
to catch-up, and yes there is some contrary evidence being
flaunted about by the oil-lobby. But follow the dollar as to
their credibility.  I didn't really buy into this CO2 thing
whole-heartedly until reading Benton's book and the
Baltimore Sun article, at the urging of Mark Goldes, who has
also been waving his arms in warning for years, with nobody
listening - like you have.

Yes, it's like being the court jester in olden days to the
rest of the science establishment. You can say things on
vortex that every pompous scientist from A-to-Zimmerman can
easily ignore, and will never read anyway - but sometimes it
registers, if only in the sense of an emeging meme. I
suspect the court jester in olden times was ultimately more
influential in the end than all the "courtiers" and
"chamberlains" and bishops put together ... seems like I
remember one king trying to have his jester buried in
Westminster Abbey or some such affront to the rest of
English nobility. We won't get that far with our
iconoclastic rhetoric, but with enough jesters on one end of
the see-saw, occasionally that will push the rest of
mediocrity to the "tipping point," after which the nobility
has no choice but to follow, or else risk "loosing their
heads"  les-Miz style.

Jones